Tuesday, April 27, 2021

Alienware R10 3200MHz RAM Timings for Stock Modules

I've recently been fighting with my Alienware R10 over RAM timings and speeds. Searching around the interwebs I was able to find a few commands to help pull the information. Keep in mind these commands are for recent Fedora releases since I'm running Fedora 33.

The first command is 

sudo dmidecode --type 17

This pulls a handful of data about each DIMM installed in your system. One particularly useful stat is Speed:

The second command pulls a ton of data from the DIMMs. Its a lot of data to go through but if you can find what you're looking for it's worth it.

sudo dnf install i2c-tools
sudo modprobe eeprom
decode-dimms


if eeprom dosnt work then try the one of below

sudo modprobe eeprom
sudo modprobe at24
sudo modprobe i2c-i801
sudo modprobe i2c-amd-mp2-pci
sudo modprobe ee1004

Third and last is the utility lshw

sudo dnf install lshw
sudo lshw -C memory

EDIT: After a few months of waiting and a couple of BIOS updates the RAM seems to run rather stable even with manual overclocking. The RAM included in the system is actually 3200MHz kit. Entering the BIOS and fiddling with the timings yielded great results and I was running at the actual rated speed. I'm pretty sure these aren't the best timings I could have set as I'm no expert but below is what I used. 



No comments:

Post a Comment