Wednesday, June 20, 2012

DC Universe Online - Ubuntu 12.04 / Wine

Once again I am working on getting DC Universe Online working on my Ubuntu 12.04 install so I can ditch windows 7 all together. DC Is the only thing tethering me to Windows. There have been many reports of it working.


So far the installer installs the Launchpad application and asks to install a version of Direct X, I declined the Direct X install but went ahead with the rest of the install.


When starting launchpad, logging in and pressing play all I get is a garbled screen after my monitor switches screen modes. I'm not sure if it's because of my ATI video card (highly likely) or a problem with wine. I have access to a nVidia 9800. I'll try later tonight to see if it's the video card.


Same results with the wine packages from ppa:ubuntu-wine/ppa (version 1.5.6).


System specs -
i7 CPU @ 4.6GHz
AMD Radeon HD 6870 1GB video card
16GB DDR3 RAM
Audigy 2 PCI sound card


OS Version -
Ubuntu Linux 12.04 64-bit


Wine version(s) -
1.3.32 Playonlinux
1.4 stock Ubuntu 12.04
1.5.6 Ubuntu wine PPA


Wine Options
virtual desktop 1440x900


Winetricks options -
ie8
vcrun2008
xact


Progress so far -
launchpad installs and starts as normal
login works and you can press the play button
screen goes all grabled and you have to 'wineserver -k' in a terminal

3 comments:

  1. While checking the logs I came across this

    Running wine-1.5.6 LaunchPad.exe
    Client version: Live.262714
    p11-kit: couldn't load module: /usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/pkcs11/gnome-keyring-pkcs11.so: /usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/pkcs11/gnome-keyring-pkcs11.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directoryp11-kit

    It is a SSL bug in wine with 64-bit Ubuntu and can be fixed by doing this

    http://www.codeweavers.com/support/wiki/linux/faq/ubuntu_keyring

    It cleans up the error but does not get me any further.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also received this error

    err:d3d:state_pscale >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> GL_INVALID_VALUE (0x501) from glPointSize(...); @ state.c / 1570

    It seems to be an ATI/AMD specific error that also happens in Mass Effect 3 under wine. Looks like I'm going to have to try an nVidia card.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I removed my AMD Radeon 6870 and installed a eVGA Geforce 470 and now DCUO works! It turned out to be AMDs drivers all along.

    The mouse is wonky as fark and my xbox360 gamepad doesn't work, but I can mess with those to try ad fix it.

    I did have to issue these two commands before it would connect to the DCUO server though. Not sure if this is specific to Ubuntu 12.04 64-bit or not.

    sudo -i
    echo 0|sudo tee /proc/sys/kernel/yama/ptrace_scope

    ReplyDelete